Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

1921 - 2021

Continue to website
Accept and Continue

Cookies on this site

This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.
Skip to main content

Home

Welcome to our new website - a note from the parish clerk.

Artington Parish Council has a new website because we are now working with a new host and website designer, HugoFox, a firm that provides websites and hosting free of charge for small community organisations, including parish councils. They are a commercial enterprise but they do this as a philanthropic gesture to help connect communities. So if you are looking for a website host and builder, please consider them first.

It will be a significant saving for the council. The website and email hosting service that the council has been using for the last few years quoted a renewal price of £150 for one year. We are now paying a total of just £20 a year for our email service and website hosting.

I am a little sad that the website that I created and maintained for over ten years is now redundant but, as well as being free, the new arrangement means that anyone with sign-on authority can easily change the site, with no knowledge of coding required. Consequently, the council is no longer dependent on me to do that job.

Now, in the righthand column you will see an invitation to sign up for email alerts. These alerts are triggered by the posting of blogs, news or events on a special page. I probably won't be using that function for the moment and I shall post things on the appropriate place on the site as I have always done, which does not trigger an email alert. Nonetheless please sign up as I may start to post things in that way.

In the meantime, I shall continue to notify the people on my Artington email group of any changes. If you wish to have your name added to or removed from that group, please send an email to [email protected]

All in all, I am pleased with the way it is working so far and, as I explore the various functions on offer, we may think of ways of using the website to better advantage. If you have any suggestions, please let me know via the Contact page.

Phil

St Catherine's Hill medieval cave shrine.

You may have heard of the discovery of a medieval shrine during the work to stabilise the railway cutting. Here is a Youtube video explaining its significance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKjnMmH_-es

Treetops development site

Work has started on the new estate. The developers, Southern Homes, have sent round this newsletter to keep their neighbours informed of progress:

Housing vacancy at Caleb Lovejoy almshouses

A one-bedroom unfurnished single-storey cottage is available for a single person aged 55 years or over.

Situated close to Guildford town centre, within walking distance of the main line station, the cottage consists of a porch, lounge, kitchen area, shower-room, bedroom and shared garden.

A weekly maintenance charge is payable which includes heating, water, 24-hour emergency call system, communal lighting, water rates, gardening and window cleaning.

Priority is given to applicants who have lived in Guildford and are in need. It may suit a retired person in receipt of Housing Benefit.

Further information available at www.caleblovejoy.com

Email enquiries to [email protected]

Telephone 07903 313201

Information about the origins of the almshouses can be found on the History page of this website.

Caleb Lovejoy almshouses, Guildford Caleb Lovejoy almshouses, Guildford

Community Speed Watch

Artington in common with many other areas suffers from vehicles being driven at excessive speeds. This is particularly a problem on the narrow twisting lanes through Littleton that connect the A3100 and B3000. It is also a problem on parts of the A3100.

Rat running training

The Stakescorner Road, Littleton Lane and Sandy Lane route was designated 'Access Only' some years ago because of its unsuitability as a through road. In spite of this restriction, rat-runners continue to use the route as a short cut between the B3000 and A3100, particularly during the early morning and late afternoon. In an effort to combat this problem residents, in conjunction with Guildford Police, wish to carry out regular monitoring exercises to detect drivers contravening the 'Access Only' restriction. Rat-runners are contacted by the police and experience shows that the number of vehicles using Littleton and Sandy Lane as a through route is reduced significantly.

Consequently, volunteers are needed to help with this so email Guy Catchpole if you would like to help to reduce the amount of traffic using the parish lanes.

The Big Lunch - photographs

The Big Lunch took place on Royal Oak Field in front of Littleton Farm House on Sunday 23rd June 2019. The weather was kind and excellent organisation ensured that a good time was had by all.

As usual, our Chief Photographer has posted a selection of images on flickr for you to remind yourselves of the day:

Images of the Artington Big Lunch 2019
(Artington Parish Council is not responsible for the content of external websites)

The future of Mount Browne

Following several years of speculation about the future of the Surrey Police headquarters at Mount Browne, it has been announced that a site for a new police HQ has been purchased in Leatherhead. When the new headquarters have been completed, the Mount Browne site will be sold. More details can be found on the Surrey Police website.

Artington war memorial

The new war memorial commemorating the men of Artington who died in both world wars has been completed and dedicated. It is built into the wall of St Francis's church in Littleton. It was the parish council that began the project but it was taken on by the Loseley estate that planned and funded the construction of the memorial.

The dedication took place on Tuesday 6th November 2018 and over fifty people attended the event, including the daughter and grandchildren of Ralph Hood whose research was the catalyst for the project (see below). Sadly, Mr Hodd has since died but members of his family were able to be present at the dedication.

A wreath from the parish was bought with some of the profit from the Big Lunch.

The names of the men killed in the Great War are listed on a framed list in the church and there are also two who died in the Second World War whose identities were discovered by Vicky Good.

Vicky has researched into the men of Artington who gave their lives in both wars and she has produced a booklet with biographies of them.

Vicky is now attempting to find information about all those men and women of the parish who served in the armed forces and Home Guard. The results will appear on this website in due course.

The idea for the memorial came about as the result of an email received by the parish clerk several years ago from Ralph Hodd who enquired if there was a memorial anywhere that listed his ancestor, Alfred White, who served in the Royal Field Artillery. As a result of the ensuing correspondence about 35 people attended a short service that was held at St Francis's church in June 2016 to commemorate Alfred and the other men listed on the memorial.

It seems particularly poignant that Alfred White was a pupil at the village school that was converted to become St Francis church in 1904.

An account of the 2016 event can be found in the Guildford Dragon, Guildford's online newspaper.

Parish war memorial in Littleton. Parish war memorial in Littleton.